There are various extension techniques available on the market, which may make you feel at a loss for what is right for you. Here in this post, we’re going to talk about fusion hair extensions, and two different ways to apply fusion hair extensions: hot fusion extension and cold fusion extension.
What are cold fusion hair extensions?
Cold fusion hair extensions are an extension method that requires no glue and no heat. This cold fusion extension technique is also known as I-tip hair extensions, microlinks, microbead extensions, etc. The cold fusion technique uses a special plier to flatten the micro bead or tube to grab and latch onto natural hair strand by strand.
What are hot fusion hair extensions?
Hot fusion extensions, also known as U-tip hair extensions or keratin hair extensions, are a method of attaching hair strands to natural hair by melting the bonding to glue them in place. As its name implies, the U-tip hair extension comes with a U-shape keratin base bonding on the top. It’s a pre-bonding hair extension. The hot fusion technique uses a heating tool to wrap the nail-shaped tip around the wearer’s natural hair strands.
Similarities between hot fusion extensions & cold fusion extensions
- Strand method: The cold fusion and hot fusion extensions apply hair extensions strand by strand instead of section by section.
- Installation Time: Since these two fusion hair extension methods attach hair extensions to natural hair strand by strand, they take a longer time to apply than other extension methods. The installation time of hot fusion extensions and cold fusion extensions ranges from 3-5 hours typically.
- Have to be professionally installed: Both hot fusion and cold fusion hair extensions should be done by a licensed stylist in the salon.
- Long Duration: Both hot fusion hair extensions and cold fusion hair extensions can last 2-3 months after every installation with proper maintenance.
- Require Extra Upkeep: Both hot fusion and cold fusion hair extension methods need some professional upkeep. You may need to go back to the salon to re-position or re-tighten your extensions every 2-3 months.
Differences between cold fusion extensions & hot fusion extensions
- Heat: As its name implies, the process of the hot fusion extension technique uses heat to melt the bondings while the cold fusion technique doesn’t require heat.
- Tools: The hot fusion technique attaches hair strands to natural hair through a hot extension iron. While cold fusion extensions don’t involve a hot iron and do not require heat for application. I-tip hair extensions are applied onto natural hair through a hook or loop and a special plier to compact.
- Bonding: Cold fusion extensions bond to natural hair through flattened tubes or beads. While the hot fusion technique uses U-shape keratin bonding to attach hair strands to natural hair.
- Application: The hot fusion technique involves wrapping U-shape keratin bonding around natural hair strands with a heating tool. During cold fusion, a hook or loop is used to get through beads or tubes. Then, a special plier is used to compact the beads to grab the natural hair strands. The application of hot fusion and cold fusion is different.
- Reusability: Cold fusion hair extensions can be reused 4-5 times with proper care, while hot fusion hair extensions are typically one-time-use.
Hot fusion hair extensions are an old hair extension technique. Microlinks are safer and are more recommended. The cold fusion technique is an updated extension method that is much safer and more gentle on natural hair and scalp. Either hot fusion hair extensions or cold fusion hair extensions take a long time to install. And their installation and removal require a professional stylist. If you desire a quick volume boost that you can simply achieve at home by yourself, why not take a look at other extension methods? Tape-in hair extensions and clip-in hair extensions are much easier, quicker, lower maintenance, and budget-friendly.
We hope this post can be helpful to clear up your confusion about fusion hair extensions. If you still have questions about the difference between various extension methods, feel free to reach our consultants online. Trading Hair has a rich experience in wholesale human hair extensions in a variety of types. We have patterned with numerous salons and have helped many black women start and get profits from their hair businesses. No matter which hair extension type you are looking for, TradingHair has got you covered, with gorgeous quality and services.